Making Waves Project is worked in partnership with Plymouth University, Marjons, Plymouth College of Art,Real Ideas Organisation & Next Steps South West. The project is split into two separate projects to promote dance in higher education.
Project 1 – Weekly outreach sessions for young people in the Plymouth area with Exim Dance Company.
The Monday weekly classes run in term time between 5pm-7pm at Plymouth University The classes first begun in September 2016, the group is made up of 15 participants at present. The young people work in collaboration with filmmakers, dance artists, costumes designers and musicians. They have recently made a promo film with FOTONOW. The group have recently been apart of City College ‘Dance Infinity’ platform that took place on 8th February. The group were really excited to showcase their new work ‘Over Cast’. The dancers will be working with Plymouth College of Art design team after February half term to co design the group’s new performance costumes and begin to make a new piece of work that will be showcased at The House before Easter.
Project 2- Targeted Outreach Workshops to schools and colleges across Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall
Exim manage and deliver a series of “one off’ career/ recruitment workshops to schools and colleges across the South West. Targeting schools and colleges that have dance departments the project is about increasing visibility and promoting the course through direct contact with young dancers. Exim manage all bookings and activity and deliver a practical workshop alongside a careers talk to offer advice and answer students questions. The company present a powerpoint presentation and marketing material is provided by the department. We also offer students support after the workshop if they want to apply to Plymouth University. The workshops and careers talks are supported by current Plymouth University students employed by us as ambassadors. All students involved are trained and supported by us as part of this project.
Overall aims of project
- To increase the awareness and visibility of the Dance course at Plymouth University.
- To provide a widening participation activity that will actively recruit and support young people from disadvantaged backgrounds onto the dance course. This will include:
- Looked After young people
- Young people with disabilities
- Young people from low income families
- To build and maintain relationships with Schools and Colleges with dance departments in the South West.
- To provide, training, support and employment for current students and graduates.
- To offer information support and guidance for young people interested in a career in dance.
Check out the new promo film below and let us know what you think!
If you would like to be apart of Making Waves weekly classes or book a FREE workshop. Please do get in touch by emailing email@example.com or call 07864168663